T he Burgman family business began in 1935 when Uncle John Kalin opened a Funeral Home on Broadway in Seattle’s First Hill neighborhood. His wife, Lucy, a registered nurse, received her embalmer's license in 1937-a true woman pioneer in the field. After 15 years of successfully caring for Seattle’s families, Mr. Kalin passed away in 1950. At that time Mrs. Kalin and three of her sisters, all professional women ahead of their time, managed the funeral home. The youngest sister, Madge Burgman, a registered nurse and natural business woman, worked alongside her sisters and her son, Tim, who began working there as a teenager.
In 1964 the business was sold to Seattle University. Tim Burgman, along with his mother, Madge, Aunt Lucy and young family, moved to Lacey, WA in 1965, where they opened a new funeral home located on Pacific Avenue.
In 1967, the Burgmans purchased the historic Ruddell Pioneer Cemetery and adjacent property. Development began on the new portion in 1975, and in 1994 construction began on the current building, which was opened in the spring of 2002.
The spacious 24,000 square-foot funeral home is designed in a Northwest open-beam style. The funeral home features large and small chapels, viewing rooms and original stained glass. Two rose windows, inspired by the cathedrals of Europe, are placed prominently in each chapel.
Attention to detail, commitment to family and community are the heritage the Burgman family has passed on from generation to generation.